Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sparkle

I decided to polish my engagement ring today. I love making it sparkle! It gets so dingy from daily chores, cooking, crafting etc. My hubby used to buy the cleaner from the jewelers, until my mom told me it was a waste of money. She had a friend who's hubby was a jeweler, and back in the day my mom would go to her house and find her soaking diamonds in a big pot of ammonia. (imagine a pot full of diamonds) So now I buy a .98 cent bottle of ammonia and soak my diamond in just a little ammonia in a shot glass on the window sill by my sink for a 1/2 hour and scrub it with an old toothbrush rinse it off, slide it back on and reminisce while watching it cast glimmering dots of sun on the walls. Remeber Amonia is toxic so be sure the kids can't reach it. And never mix with bleach.
So go on, get that diamond sparkling, and think of the day your hubby popped the question.

1 comment:

Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

That's a great tip, Molly! I have always used toothpaste and an old toothbrush :) But, I'll try the ammonia - I have that on hand because I use it to mop with. It kicks dirt to the curb like nobody's business!

-Andrea