Call me Miss Molly. or Mrs. C. But I think the prefix is very important. Why have we lost this? And why doesn't anyone say "Yes Mam" or Yes Sir" etc. I think it's important for children to respect their elders and to respect authority. Always with respect to God first. I never want my children to compromise their faith because they were obeying a ridiculous request by a bad person. But the authority I am talking about here is the kind they encounter everyday, their parents, their Sunday school teachers, pastors, dance teachers, coaches, neighbors and their friends parents. I remember being a kid and calling everyone by their proper names. I had a great respect and love for my elders. I am still learning from the "wise and well seasoned" people in my life.I feel children today have a terrible lack of respect and appreciation for adults.
I will be 30 this year and still to this day feel awkward calling my best friend's mom by her first name. I have known her since I was in second grade. I still respect her very much.
I think names do affect how you treat people. Names are important. If it didn't matter, doctors wouldn't put MD. @ the end of their names. Or Captains or Presidents or PHD's. It doesn't mean they are better than anyone else, but they do deserve respect and kindness, for the place that God has put them. You get what I'm saying. 

We all need love and respect :) I would love to hear your thoughts on this one.




14 comments:
I agree with what you are saying... esp. with the Mr/Mrs... sometimes my children will call my friend by their first name and think that is what they say when mentioning them, and I have to say, you call her Mrs. or Mr.
Great post.
We do the Mrs. and Mr. so and so. And my children say "Yes Ma'am" and "Yes Sir."
It's vital they learn to respect their elders from the tenderest of age.
-Andrea
I for one completely agree with you!
My husband and I have taught/ are teaching out girls to always so yes mam or yes sir. It does teach them to respect their elders and it is something that is most definitely lacking in today's world.
I 100% agree! You're awesome!
Amen sister, I agree.
Although my boys are pretty polite with their please and thank you's they could use a bit of work on the Mr/Mrs, Ma'am/Sir.
I agree 100%. One of Mahala's friends asked me once why she said yes ma'am & yes sir. I told her because that's what your supposed to do, it shows respect. Our youth needs to learn how to show respect.
yes good manners should be required,by everyone
I think instilling respect for others is one of the most important things a parent can do for their child. That being said, I wasn't raised with a whole lot of emphasis on Ma'am and Sir. Despite that there was a lot emphasis on respect, and my mom never got any complaints about our manners. We did do the Mr. and Mrs. thing though. That was a given.
Great post...I think too many children are lacking in the respect area these days....it drives me crazy!
I insist on my children using a prefix whenever they address an adult. Other children must do the same when addressing me. We must train our children to be respectful.
oh so true!! showing respect is very important. we have been reading "for women only" by Shaunti Feltham in our girls group. chapter 2 was all about showing our husbands respect and how much they NEED that. i think that starting a child out early doing this only sets them up for success in life. the work that i have done in the business and medical worlds as well - you won't get very far being disrespectful. God promotes faithful people who know how authority works and are willing to submit to it.
I believe when we first learn respect for other we learn respect for ourselves. Great Post.
Hi Molly! This is a wonderful post. I couldn't agree with you more.
Sadly, it seems many adults discourage children from calling them Mr. or Mrs. They ask to be called by first names and often seem to want more of a buddy relationship.
I think this is sad for kids, because they really need the security of knowing there are adult leaders in charge. In other words, we need more Ward Clevers in the world today!! Sometimes I wish we could all go back to those Leave it to Beaver days!!
Amen Sister!
Post a Comment